“Le Cimetière des Picards” (Picard Cemetery) in Milton, LA

This is the kind of place you’ll only find if you know where you are going. Picard Cemetery, or “Le Cimetière des Picards” as locals call it in French, is located south of down a gravel road that is lined with sugar cane fields, and not much else. And when you think you’re lost, all you have to do is open the gate and drive some more on a grass road. It will lead you strait to a little piece of heaven by the Vermilion river.

Road leading the le cimetière des Picards in Milton, LAPicard Cemetery is beautiful, eerie, peaceful, a little creepy, and somewhat magical, all at once. My husband’s great-grand father is buried here although I couldn’t tell which tomb is his (it is one of the unmarked graves; he died in the 1880s). The cemetery is a mix of recent, old and very old graves. It is also a bit of a mess with broken tombs, broken crosses, and weeds growing around them.

Spanish moss on oak tree found in Picards' cemetery in Milton, LAAccording to my husband, who heard the story from the owner of the property a long time ago, Picard Cemetery came to be shortly after the war between the states when a man was shot to death there by the vigilantes. The man was buried by the river and was later joined by others. I could not find information at this point to confirm this story. If you know anything, do tell.

Picards' cemetery has old and new tombs, Milton, LAPart of the cemetery is still being used and is well maintained but most of its grounds could use some TLC. At the same time, I think part of the magic about the place is due to the mess.

Image of Picards' cemetery in Milton, LAIf you know of a special place like this one I could visit one day, I would love to hear about it!

5 Responses to “Le Cimetière des Picards” (Picard Cemetery) in Milton, LA
  1. Rhonda D. Robison
    July 19, 2012 | 3:51 am

Awesome photos, Chantal!

2. Joseph Boudreaux
    June 3, 2013 | 11:34 pm

Hello,

I have relatives buried at Picards Cemetery. If you don’t mind my asking, who was your husband’s great grand-father. My great grand mother is buried there. I know where the tomb is but there is no markings on the metal cross. My father showed me the tomb and told me who was buried there. He pass away in 1985 and I only have his word for it. I’m trying to find records to make sure.

Your pictures are great!!!! I must remember to bring my camera when I go visit. If you think it’s creepy when the sun is out, try going there late in the day when the sun goes down and the wind is blowing!!!!!

Jay

• Chantal
      June 4, 2013 | 11:07 am

Hi Jay and thanks for stopping by! My husband’s great grand-father was Jean Baptiste Duhon. They used to call him grand-pa John. He died in the 1880s when he was 25. I’ve been meaning to go back with my husband to see if he could remember where he is and perhaps put a marker but it hasn’t happened yet.
      Thanks again for the visit!
      Chantal

3. Bonica
    July 13, 2013 | 3:27 am

Interested in finding out more info on the area. I am a Duhon and grandmothers mother was a Picard that had Native American mix. I heard there was an Indian burial ground around there. Wondering if you might know about the natives that were in the area and what tribe. Thanks

• Chantal
      July 19, 2013 | 10:55 am

Hi Bonica and thank you for stopping by. I am unfamiliar with the native tribe that would have been in that area. If you ever find out, please make sure to let me know. My husband is a Duhon but he does not have any native American mix. Wish I could tell you more…

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?

Trackback URL http://www.lafayetterealestatenews.com/2011/10/25/picard-cemetery-milton-la/trackback/

“Le Cimetière des Picards” (Picard Cemetery) in Milton, LA

5 Responses to “Le Cimetière des Picards” (Picard Cemetery) in Milton, LA
  1. Rhonda D. Robison
    July 19, 2012 | 3:51 am

Awesome photos, Chantal!

2. Joseph Boudreaux
    June 3, 2013 | 11:34 pm

Hello,

Jay

3. Bonica
    July 13, 2013 | 3:27 am

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?